Mille Lacs has a hot bite right now. After all the gloom and doom this winter it is an awesome surprise. I hit the lake with the family on Memorial day weekend and we had enough action all weekend to keep everyone happy. The corking bite in the evening was rapid fire and we were catching fish of all sizes. Now would be a great time to get up there and cork the evening bite that remains super strong. We caught most of our fish in 18 feet anchored over some rocks while drowning a leech.
This last Sunday I fished a tournament with Tony Nelson on Mille Lacs. Our plan was to pull blades & crawlers and Super death rigs on a mud flat that we knew was holding fish. I literally had a fish on 30 seconds into our first trolling run, and we had consistent bites the rest of the day. Super death prevailed as the better of the two techniques and we trolled those rigs at about 1.2 mph for the majority of the day. Most of our fish came on the top edges of the flat in 24 to 25 feet of water. At times the wind would lay down, and we found it more effective to slide off the edge in 35 to 36 FOW. The water temperature was right around 60 degrees and so the bite on the mud should really only get stronger and stronger in the next few weeks. We stayed on one flat for the entire event and had a blast boating 24 walleyes.
We ended up with 23.45 lbs which was good enough for 10th place. That should tell you something about the amount of big fish being caught right now.
1. Smoothmoves Seats — Wind was 20mph plus. Thank god I have them!http://www.smoothmovesseats.com/
2. Crestliner — Week in and week out – year in and year out the boat performs. https://www.crestliner.com/
3. Tom’s Tackle — We used their blades for a good part of the day! Your tackle box is lacking without them. http://www.tomstackleinc.com/
4. Contour Elite — We planned our day long before we got there.http://contourelite.com/
5. Tooth Tamer Rods — Landed all 24 eyes. Enough Said.http://www.biggametackleco.com/
Next stop is Lake of the Woods, so we look forward to staying at the best resort on the Rainy River. Wheelers Point Resort – http://wheelerspoint.com/